Iphonography is a genre of modern photography, characterized by the fact that the camera is an iPhone camera, and the pictures are processed on it with the appropriate applications.
You, too, probably use the camera of your phone to capture a moment in your life. And now you are involved in the process of iPhoneography – consciously or not. Have you thought about it? Maybe you have, maybe you haven’t. I suggest that you think about why you should do iPhoneography in the first place, and what benefits it can bring to you?
Why can this be a great hobby?
I’ve been doing iPhone photography for about three years, and since then I’ve taken and processed a thousand pictures, most of which no one will ever see. Only a small fraction of them I upload to Flickr and Instagram.
I’m not greedy, I’m just pretty self-critical and I don’t think I have any talent as a photographer. I just do it because it gives me pleasure. I like the fact that it’s a very accessible activity that doesn’t require any special training. It helps me to realize myself and to look at the world more consciously. When you do iPhone photography, you don’t really think about the technical side – you just shoot what you like.
That’s what it’s all about, the process, the emotions and feelings that you feel. It’s about how out of the box it helps you look at things and understand yourself better. Because looking at your life from the outside can open up new facets of perception without changing life itself – just your perception becomes richer, the “glasses” through which you look at the world become clearer. In this sense, there are few human activities that afford you “that luxury”.
In fact, it is very realistic to take a great picture with an iPhone, the main thing here is practice. I am sure that if you constantly shoot with the phone, look for new angles, try different applications and techniques, you will inevitably develop your creativity and other creative skills. Iphonography is contemplation, inspiration and creativity at the same time.
What resources and programs can help you unleash your creativity?
So, let’s start with Web resources:
- First of all, I suggest checking out the iPhoneographers’ group on Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/groups/iphoneographers/) more often, which is a great source of inspiration;
- Secondly, be sure to check out the main iPhone site – https://www.iphoneography.com. There are a lot of reviews, news, and articles posted there;
- Also, I suggest you check out another famous blog about iPhoneography – https://lifeinlofi.com.
As for programs and apps. There are a lot of both paid and free programs on the Web for novice photographers:
- If you have money to spare, I recommend to purchase KitCam App and PhotoForge2. These are very functional programs that have a lot of room for your photographic experiments;
- Of the simpler things, I highly recommend the photo editor Afterlight, which is enough for most tasks for beginners;
- Another useful app is Instafocus. It contains collections of the best Instagrammers from around the world.
If we talk about iPhoneographers themselves, then of course, everything is very subjective here – everyone likes different ones, everyone has their own style and handwriting. I will share my favorites:
Hopefully, the links to sites, apps, and photographers will help you become a cooler iPhoneographer and enjoy your iPhoneography. Try it, have fun. I’m sure you will succeed!